First, the carded batts. I finished up carding up my spare merino rovings; I had some (most dyed myself, but one or two purchased) that I was subsequently less than happy with, and I broke them up and carded them… and I just did this week the last 10 oz of that, 4 oz into a rainbow batt (well, pink to blue), below:
And 6 oz into 2 batts each of these fall colors (somehow, it was most brown and yellow left over, and the other is that same red and pink as in the rainbow):
Although, they look better than the picture suggests, they’re not the world’s most appealing things, however, I am planning on using them; I’m just debating how.
Plan A is to divide the batts into quarters, then each quarter in thirds, and for one ply spin 3 red, 3 yellow, 3 brown (4 times) and the second ply spin 2 red, 3 yellow, 3 brown, then 3 red, 3 yellow, 3 brown, and tack the last red on the end. Plan B is to divide the batt into eighths and spin one ply 2 red, 2 yellow, 2 brown (etc) and spin the other 1 red, 2 yellow, 2 brown, 2 red, etc… 1 red. Yeah.
Most exciting is this falkland roving I dyed a few days ago.
It’s not a new technique, but not one I’d done before. I made the roving into a spiral in a roasting pan and poured the dye on. I didn’t have the water hot enough to start so there was a bit more spreading than I’d hoped, but I’m fairly happy with it.
In effect, it means there are larger areas of dye on one end then at the other, but the same colors are throughout. Although the roving is in a crochet chain for easier handling, you can see that better here:
I can only say that this only reinforces my desire to do more dyeing, especially as my neglected dye stocks are getting weird. (They’re gelling, I think is the term. It goes away when they are warmed up, but still, it’s odd).
Also, I need to find more time to spin. Hopefully after this week I can start to work it in.